The Department of Mechanical Engineering at PGU was established in 1992 with an undergraduate program that offered a B.S. degree with a specialization in Thermo-fluids. In 2007 the Department expanded its program to the graduate level by establishing an M.Sc. degree in Applied Design followed by a Ph.D. degree in the same field six years later. In 2016 the Department further expanded its graduate program by launching an M.Sc. degree in Energy Conversion.
Currently (in 2021), the Department of Mechanical Engineering at PGU has 14 full-time faculty members specialized in various fields of Solid Mechanics (5 members), Thermo-fluids (6 members), and Materials Engineering (3 members). At present (in 2021), the total number of students studying in undergraduate and graduate programs are 216 and 69 (54 M.Sc. and 15 Ph.D.), respectively. Since the development of the Department, 1092 B.S. and 60 M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees have been awarded to the students in undergraduate and graduate programs, respectively.
Along with the education, an extensive amount of theoretical and industrial research in different fields of Mechanical Engineering is conducted annually under the supervision of the faculty members in both undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at PGU is well-equipped by laboratories and workshops including:Thermodynamic laboratory, heat engine laboratory, dynamic and vibration laboratory, material strength laboratory, machine tool workshop, welding workshop, and auto-mechanic workshop.